Get Patent Help From Greenberg & Lieberman 1-888-275-2757 an Intellectual Property Law Firm, with an attorney registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Located in Washington, DC, we serve clients nationally in the areas of patents, trademarks, copyrights, and Internet / Domain Name law.

Need Help?

Patents grant an inventor the right to exclude others from producing or using the inventor’s discovery or invention for a limited period of time. The role of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is to grant patents for the protection of inventions and to register trademarks.’s Patent Lawyers can help with issues that may include:

  • Machine Patent
  • Expired Patent
  • Computer Patent
  • Patent Review

Contact our Patent Professional to ensure you complete the patent filing process correctly! 

Learn More

A patent for an invention is the grant of a property right to the inventor, issued by the USPTO. Generally, the term of a new patent is 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States or, in special cases, from the date an earlier related application was filed, subject to the payment of maintenance fees. Under certain circumstances, patent term extensions or adjustments may be available.

Patent FAQs

What should you do if you have a patent idea?
If you have a patent idea, it is recommended that you get a patent professional to help you with the patent application process. Researching patent databases is another way to determine whether you can patent your idea.

How do I get invention protection?
If you want your invention protected you should file for a patent for your invention.  Filing a patent will grant you the rights to your invention.  You can get protection on your invention even if your invention is only an idea right now.

What can I copyright?
You can copyright musical works, literary works, dramatic works, and choreographic works.  You can also protect graphics, pictures, sculptural works, movies sound recordings, and architectural works.

What should I do with a new product idea?
If you have a new product idea, you should file a patent for your new product idea. If you wait and do not file your product idea with the United States Patent and Trademark Office right away, you risk losing your invention or product idea.

Can a copyright attorney help with an infringement?
One of the main functions of a copyright attorney is to protect clients against infringement that includes illegal copies of artist music CDs and Music DVDs.

Click for more FAQs Patent Questions >>

Patent Terms

Classification of Goods and Services:
Official document from the USPTO evidencing that a mark has been registered.

A patent is a document that defines the right by law for inventors and assignees to make use of and exploit their inventions for a limited period of time.

An inventor who is named with at least one other inventor in a patent application, wherein each inventor contributes to the conception creation of the invention.

Click for more Patent Glossary Terms >>

Contact our Patent Professional to ensure you complete the patent filing process correctly!